Saturday, November 24, 2012

j'adore Paris

So last weekend I went to Paris for three days...obviously not enough time there!   We took a 5 am train so we had plenty of time to start the sight seeing on Friday with Sacre Coeur first, a beautiful cathedral.


This led us a a really quaint area with lots of artists, cafes and shops.  I really regret not buying one of their beautiful paintings.  I guess I will just frame my own pictures to remember!


We went to the top of arc de triomphe which gave us an amazing view of the city.  Around the arc is a circle which many streets branch off of.  All of the streets are lined with lots of trees which look so beautiful with the fall colored leaves.  After the Arc we went in Notre Dame, which is incredible.


In my excitement to see the Eiffel Tower I ran up the stairs at the tube station, and realized I could only see the bottom half of the tower because of the thick fog.  I was disappointed but we got to see the full thing at night so that made up for it.  We did not make it to the top so I guess I will have to go back to do that!



We got lucky enough to be in Paris during the last weekend of the Chloe exhibit.  Chloe is a french designer label that is celebrating their 60th anniversary.  They had the beautiful garments through the decades displayed and also sketches and photographs.


At night a big group of us went on a boat cruise that started at the Eiffel Tower and saw the gorgeous bridges and buildings.  It was freezing but luckily we could sit inside!  The tower glitters every hour and it is so exciting to see.  I think we got just as excited each of the four times we saw it happen.


On our last day Jen, Sarah and I took a trip to the Palace de Versailles.  It was about an hour on the train from the center of Paris and definitely worth it.  I was stunned when we walked up and saw the massive palace that was lined with gold.  Inside we saw where Marie Antoinette lived and a few of the other rooms out of the hundreds throughout the building.  My favorite room was the Hall of the Mirrors, but the prettiest part was the garden in the back.


I was in love with Paris and in awe of this city.  I must go back because there are still so many things to see and do there!  I loved how no matter where we were the buildings were so beautiful and there was so much to see.  I prepared myself for the rude and snobbish Parisians I was warned about, but I was pleasantly surprised by the kind people I spoke with there in taxis, restaurants, the hotel, and other places around the city.  Yes, it would have been helpful if one of us knew french...but we figured it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment